It is recommended by the Australian Government Department of Health and the World Health Organisation that adults over 65 years old participate in aerobic exercises, strength training, and balance exercises.
Aerobic Exercises: 30 minutes of moderate intensity activity daily.
Strength Training: on 2 or more days per week with a rest day in between. Aim for 10-15 repetitions for all major muscle groups and complete 1-3 sets
Balance Exercises: should challenge your balance through standing still and when moving and be completed 3 or more times per week
• Improve cardiovascular fitness, brain health, and mental health
• Improve pain
• Improve sleep and energy levels
• Prevent falls
• Maintain independence/ reduce dependence
• Pick activities that you enjoy (walking, dancing, swimming)
• Exercise in a group or with friends
• Start slow and work your way up
• Reduce the time you spend sitting and being sedentary
• Join in with the facility exercise programs
• Ask your physiotherapists for advice and support